Monday, January 18, 2010

Billings, Montaner

It has been somewhat of an explosion since I have arrived in Billings. This is normal; if I was reporting that things had been quiet and boring, something would be wrong. I enjoy living my life like a frantic squirrel with a rapid heartbeat and constant paranoia. Sort of.

Anyway, after less than 24 hours in Billings, I had found a job and a place to live. What?! Yeah, that's right. I had no reason to panic when I was packing (well, more like cramming) my car to leave with no idea if I would have either when I got here. Story of my life. Things are much more exciting when you jump into shit with less than half of a plan. I got my job back at the YMCA, herding children around after school. I'll only be able to do that until outdoor season starts with MSUB, then I will have to find a way to get hours in the morning. Maybe I will get certified as a lifeguard and be that nagging bitch on the lifeguard tower, yelling "WALK, DAMMIT!" at all the overeager kids. We'll see what happens. I drove the mini white bus to pick up kids the other day. I only curb checked twice, almost took out a Ford Explorer with the ridiculously massive side view mirrors and cut someone off in the intersection while taking a left. No deaths was an accomplishment.

As for the living situation, I am staying in the Baum's basement. Steve, his daughter Katie and their two dogs were kind enough to let me occupy 'The Dungeon' for the four months I am here. Which is really saving my ass, because now I can focus on what I really came back for: volunteer assistant coaching at MSUB. The word 'volunteer' implies I'm not really getting paid, which is correct. According to the book Stuff White People Like, unpaid internships is the way to appear to be a better person than everyone else. And an unpaid internship is basically what coaching will be. Yes! I love feeling better than everyone else because I can barely afford to feed myself and all my socks have holes. I plan on judging all you assholes who work for money. Ha! How ridiculous!

And that is about all for now. Things are just getting started.

No comments: